Company News

Week in the Life of an Apprentice: Part Three

Week in the Life of an Apprentice: Part Three


It’s our third piece for National Apprenticeship and time for our third apprentice.

Greg is our longest serving apprentices and has been with us for over three years now. He’s currently working towards his last year of his electrical apprenticeship with Peterborough Regional College.

If Greg could have any superpower it would be to have really fast reactions - this would definitely help when being an engineer.


Monday morning, I was at work at 6:30am for the drive to Belgium on the euro tunnel. It was going to be a long day with three of us in a van for 7 hours - not really my idea of a comfortable drive. It was a full day spent driving so no jobs were started today, just an early night ready for the job tomorrow.


Tuesday, we were up bright and early at 4:15am to be on site for the health and safety induction at 5am. This is a new customer for us, so the health and safety induction lasted nearly six hours, most of which was spent waiting for in the foyer of the main office waiting to be collected by our site contact.

Once we were all inducted, we go and take a look at the job in hand. On the surface it seemed to be a larger job for only two full days on site but as it usually goes when you break it down it ends up being very manageable.

The project is a sound masking solution, as it’s such a large install we are completing the job in phases and this was the start of phase one. We started by pulling in the data feeds for each of the sound masking zones, ready for the emitters to be installed, before we knew it was 2:30pm and we were needed to leave the site as it was the end of their working day.


Wednesday another early start but as we had already had the health and safety induction, this time we managed to get straight on site to carry on with the job.

We finished pulling in the zone feeds and started on the interlinks that jump between areas across the building. Yet again, the time flew by and before we knew it was 2:30pm and the day was over - back to the hotel for food we went.


Thursday was the last day of this job and hopefully our last early morning. We got to site promptly and ready to finish off phase one of this project.

We started by terminating and testing the interlinks and the feeds to make sure they were terminated properly; this went very well with no faults and we were happy that when we come back to the job that hardest part of the cabling would be done.

With the first phase of the project complete we got back in the van for another seven-hour drive back to Peterborough. We got back to office at around 7pm where we unloaded all waste and materials and headed home for a well-deserved rest.


Fridays are my collage days, and this is to be one of the last few days I would have to return to college on a Friday, as I am drawing close to the end of my apprenticeship. The day was spent practicing for my final fault-finding exam in a few weeks’ time.

Think this is great? Share it!